Paisley Bikers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

carbs airflow

4 posters

Go down

carbs airflow Empty carbs airflow

Post by black dog Fri 11 Mar - 22:29

anyone suggest where I might pick up some cheap and appropriate foam rubber? I need to impede the airflow into my carbs. Thanks for any help comrades. afro
black dog
black dog

Back to top Go down

carbs airflow Empty Re: carbs airflow

Post by G-force Sat 12 Mar - 5:34

Hey Alan, I'm not sure what kind of foam would be suitable? A while back we picked up a load of foam sheets about 2inch thick for upholstering a boat cabin. They were fairly soft and light and might do the trick if cut to shape. Ask Andy or Stevie (Clunymac) if they have any left?
G.
G-force
G-force
Admin

https://paisleybikers.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

carbs airflow Empty carbs airflow reply ..

Post by black dog Sat 12 Mar - 23:55

thanks g-man .... picked up some foam rubber yesterday on way home from work from a wee shop in Pertick ... sounds similar to what you pointed me to .... if the weather smartens up tomorrow will give it a try ... hopefully it'll do the trick otherwise I'll be back on to you guys for any tips/advice ... am trying to avoid re-jetting ... that's a tad permanent with no guaranteed outcomes.
black dog
black dog

Back to top Go down

Post by G-force Sun 13 Mar - 4:15

What is it that's wrong with it? What symptoms?
G-force
G-force
Admin

Back to top Go down

carbs airflow Empty a wee modification ....

Post by black dog Mon 14 Mar - 20:05

g-force ... thanks for enquiry .... I got maself 4 new power air filters to try and ramp the power on the old bike up a bit .... thought it would be a fairly simple changeover ... not so .... putting on the power air filters obviously changed the fuel/air mix as it should do ... but more than I thought and am trying to avoid re-jetting the carbs so I thought if I impeded the airflow a tad with foam rubber it might solve the problem (heath robinson style) ... but ... yep you guessed right ... it didn't ... looks like am gonner have to re-jet or just forget the whole idea and put the old airbox back on and flog the new power filters on e-bay. Gonna make enquiries this morning with the company I bought the filters from and try and establish how much re-jetting will be required ... ie just the main fuel intake jet or will I also have to change the needle jets etc ... I aint gonner do that though .... too much hassle and not enough knowledge (or patience grrrrrrrr ..... heheheh). I'll keep ye posted and if ye can offer any advice it'd be much appreciated. Have a good monday ....
black dog
black dog

Back to top Go down

carbs airflow Empty Re -Map

Post by Royster Mon 14 Mar - 23:06

Alan, there is a place in Hillington Estate that does the re - mapping etc. Might be worth a call to them and ask what needs to be done and maybe a cost? I am not sure of the name, i think its dyno something!! it is on Queen Elizabeth ave, almost across were my bro andy use to work.

Roy
Royster
Royster
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by black dog Mon 14 Mar - 23:13

ok roy ... thanks for that ... am beginning to think i should just change it back to how it was .... it went perfectly well up until I started fannying aboot wi it!!!!
black dog
black dog

Back to top Go down

Post by amaktmbuntu Tue 15 Mar - 6:55

Royster wrote:Alan, there is a place in Hillington Estate that does the re - mapping etc. Might be worth a call to them and ask what needs to be done and maybe a cost? I am not sure of the name, i think its dyno something!! it is on Queen Elizabeth ave, almost across were my bro andy use to work.

Roy
doesnt re mapping require an efi unit?? the bike alan is riding is older than me !!! its a conventional carb setup with about as much electronic magetry as hand egg beater!! no offence alan I love your bike and sometimes wish I had gone for the 950 and not the 990 because of the simplicity.!

amaktmbuntu

Back to top Go down

Post by G-force Tue 15 Mar - 11:12

Alan, I looked into getting performance filters for my Bandit a couple of months ago and discovered that rejetting was definitely required. And the consequences of running the bike without making the adjustments could lead to serious valve damage. affraid
I spotted an add for performance filters which said..
The air filters allow considerably more air flow than a stock air box, however, carb adjustments will be required to get the proper amount of fuel to match the increased air flow. Generally a 25% increase in jet size can be expected.
It may not be an expensive job? If you drop in to C&D Grants in Sandyford Rd and ask for Dougie, He's their bike mechanic, and ask the question he may be able to help. He's helped me out a few times.
http://www.cdgrant.co.uk/#
Your idea of limiting the airflow with foam surely defeats the purpose of having the filters fitted in the first place? Apart from them looking/sounding good!
Good luck buddy, Let us know how you get on..
G.
G-force
G-force
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by black dog Wed 16 Mar - 20:06

thanks for the tips and suggestions guys. Ian ... yes ... adding the foam rubber does defeat the purpose of adding the power filters ... it was intended just as a temporary measure until I had time to look into it a bit more. I know dougie at C&D and will probably pop in and take his advice. The valve damage bit made me a tad nervous .... hope nothing untoward has happened there.
Again many thanks for your advice etc.
black dog
black dog

Back to top Go down

carbs airflow Empty carbs airflow ... rpoblem solved

Post by black dog Mon 21 Mar - 21:00

Hey guys
gs850 back to normal ... abandonded power filters and reinstated old air system (sigh) .... all's well .... thanks fcuk.
black dog
black dog

Back to top Go down

Post by G-force Wed 23 Mar - 21:06

Glad to hear It's ok mate.
G-force
G-force
Admin

Back to top Go down